Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What are you meditating on?

8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
(Joshua 1:8 NIV)

15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.

16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
(Psalm 119:15-16)

Main Point: Meditating on God's Word is key to a successful Christian walk.

As said on previous posts, God's Word is absolutely vital in our Christian walks. It is a lamp to our feet and a light for our path(Psalm 119:105). Therefore, we should make every effort to be sure that we are walking according to His Word. That is where meditation comes in. Meditation may sound like a mystical weird word; nevertheless, it is very simple and practical. It is to simply engage in thought or reflection. It speaks in 1 Timothy 4:7 that we are to train ourselves to be godly. Pondering and thinking thoroughly on God's Word, seeking understanding and insight, is a great step in training oneself in godliness. We are to be doers of the Word, and not simply hearers, as it says in James 1:22. Let us fill our minds and hearts with God's Word, letting it overflow our in our lives. Let this be the prayer of our hearts.

25 I am laid low in the dust;
preserve my life according to your word.

26 I recounted my ways and you answered me;
teach me your decrees.

27 Let me understand the teaching of your precepts;
Psalm 119:25-27

Challenge: Meditate on a specific scripture passage this week, seeking God to mold you in becoming more like Him. Ask for understanding, ask for His ways, and He will answer.

No comments: